“These Issues Should be on the Minds of All Voters and Presidential Candidates” -- This and More ID in the News
IDSA Board member Ann Macintyre, DO, FIDSA, authored an op-ed for STAT about the importance of presidential candidates being prepared to discuss their plans for infectious diseases. Fearing that the topic might get lost in the shuffle over access to health care, high drug prices, and health disparities, Dr. Macintyre details why infectious diseases should be a top priority this election.
“As a country, we are facing the resurgence of measles, the longest flu season in a decade, infectious diseases linked to the opioid epidemic, the growing challenge of antibiotic-resistant infections, and emerging public health threats such as the Zika virus,” Dr. Macintyre stated. “Living in a world drawn closer by trade and travel heightens the problems posed by infectious diseases. These issues should be on the minds of all voters and presidential candidates.”
This is just one of the news pieces that IDSA and our member spokespersons contributed to, in addition to others highlighted below. Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook to see the latest news and opinion pieces featuring IDSA, HIVMA and our members.
- Bloomberg Law: HIV, Hepatitis Outbreaks Hit West Virginia As Opioid Funds Lag (Judith Feinberg, MD, FIDSA)
- Daily Beast: Superbug Outbreak Hits Neonatal Unit at Pittsburgh Hospital (Amesh Adalja, MD, FIDSA)
- Healthcare Purchasing News: It takes a village (Krutika Kuppalli, MD)
- HealthDay: Reacting Against a 'Too Clean' World, Some Parents Go Too Far the Other Way (Aaron E. Glatt, MD, FIDSA)
- Infectious Disease News: Is the world due for an influenza pandemic? (Amesh Adalja, MD, FIDSA; Arnold S. Monto, MD, FIDSA)
- Infectious Disease News: Novel intervention reduces patient visits tied to respiratory tract infection (Jeffrey Linder, MD, MPH)
- Infectious Disease News: Researchers push for revision of IDSA diabetic foot infection classification (Benjamin A. Lipsky, MD)
- Infectious Disease Special Edition: Fighting Disinformation With Credible Information About Vaccines (Aaron E. Glatt, MD, FIDSA)
- Infectious Disease Special Edition: Managing Cryptococcosis In Organ Transplant Patients (Carlos del Rio, MD, FIDSA)
- Infectious Disease Special Edition: New Antibiotics: Welcome Additions to The ID Armamentarium (Susan Bleasdale, MD; Helen W. Boucher, MD, FIDSA)
- Infectious Disease Special Edition: New Guideline on UTI Testing Emphasizes a Cautionary Approach (Dimitri M. Drekonja, M.D.; Lindsay E. Nicolle, MD, FIDSA)
- National Journal: Trump Policies Could Lead to Fewer Kids Getting Vaccinated (Kathryn M. Edwards, MD, FIDSA)