Guide to Open Pharmacies
Healthcare Ready, created by PhRMA, has activated a free, interactive RxOpen map to show open and closed pharmacies in the region affected by hurricanes. Citizens and first responders can use this map as an initial resource, and should call their pharmacy to ensure their specific medication is in stock.
The Department of Health and Human Services HIV guideline panels released Guidance for Non-HIV Specialized Providers Caring for Persons with HIV in Disaster Areas. The document covers antiretroviral therapy for patients receiving treatment before displacement, caring for pregnant women, treatment and prevention of opportunistic infections and vaccinations and is available from AIDSInfo.
For people living with HIV, maintaining adequate supplies of medications is critical to prevent treatment disruptions.
American Academy of Pediatrics has information on health tips for children during flood recovery.
- CDC: Flood Water After a Disaster or Emergency
- Personal Hygiene and Handwashing After a Disaster or Emergency
- Guidance for Non-HIV Specialized Providers Caring for Persons with HIV in Disaster Areas
- Medical Management and Patient Advisement after a Disaster
- Infectious Diseases of Severe Weather-related and Flood-related Natural Disasters
- The Infectious and Noninfectious Dermatological Consequences of Flooding: A Field Manual for the Responding Provider
- Rodent-borne Infectious Disease Outbreaks After Flooding Disasters: Epidemiology, Management, and Prevention
- Hurricane Recovery Webinar
- HHS: 2018 Hurricane Preparedness, Response and Recovery
- CDC: Hurricanes and Other Tropic Storms
- CDC: Clinical Guidance for Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning After a Disaster
- Tetanus in Areas
IDSA Journal Articles
- Health Risks of Flood Disasters
- Wind, Rain, Flooding, and Fear: Coordinating Military Public Health in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina
- Widespread Outbreak of Norovirus Gastroenteritis among Evacuees of Hurricane Katrina Residing in a Large “Megashelter” in Houston, Texas: Lessons Learned for Prevention